Sunday, June 24, 2012

New Painting

It seems that my stay on the other side of the world has (temporarily?) replaced the hills of the Susquehanna Valley as my muse.  How long that will last, I’m not certain, but there were so many things (people, landscape, experiences) that moved me, I think the detour may take me quite a few places off the previously beaten path. 
Here, for your viewing pleasure is the first Filipino piece.  While inspired directly by a scene surreptitiously caught on a broken dirt road in the Chocolate Hills of Bohol, it could be a scene from any number of dusty, hill side abodes on either side of the world -- in this century or the one before.  There was something about the old woman and the dish rag that reminded me of someone long ago, and I could almost hear the word “Baba” echoing through the hills.  She was distantly, hauntingly, familiar, yet exists a world away from any place I had known before.   I have a sense I won’t be alone in this feeling when this painting makes its debut. 

"Saturday in the Hills"  24" x 36"

No comments:

Post a Comment