Sunday, February 20, 2011

First of many?

Well, here it is!  My first official 'new' piece!  I'm feeling pretty good about it, but there are still (rather strong) pangs of uncertainty?  sadness?  nostalgia??  when I look at my 'old' paintings compared to this one.  Still clearly a very strong Hopper influence, and my colors are still bold.  But something else just seems.....missing.  I tell myself that it is the anger that is missing.  No doubt my old works had an angry, in-your-face quality to them.  I am so much happier than I was in my early 20s.

And of course there is the size.  As much as I would love to paint lifesize (or nearly so) that is just not feasible anymore. 

But I wonder/worry there is something else missing.   Is my voice gone?  Or is it just different? 
Anyway, decide for yourself, 'cause here it is:

While my old work was undeniably about me, my inspiration now comes from the people and the land that surround me.  I came from here -- so I guess it's about me too -- but yet I'm a bit of an outsider looking in.  Sort of.  But it's an interesting, beautiful view, nonetheless...



"Sunday Drive"  oil on canvas, 24"x 36"  2011

No comments:

Post a Comment